- I miss Twitter*
- Currently reading Shelby Foote’s narrative history of the (US) Civil War**
- I don’t think I can be bothered to go through the rigamarole of finding new people to follow on Mastodon***
- There’s a complete stranger of a German teenager coming to stay for the next week. I don’t know how this happened****
- They found a concealed bit of the Berlin Wall. Is this a metaphor for something?*****
- The seeds are in the sweetest part of the watermelon. Is this a metaphor for something?******
*Of course, if I was still on Twitter I wouldn’t have felt this sentiment, so this first one is a lie.
**A gift from my daughter, who has been very critical of me not starting it. But I was saving it for these dog days of August and now she’s nicked it off me. Shelby Foote was the engaging, bearded contributor to Ken Burns’ PBS documentary on the Civil War. He weaves a good yarn.
***Actually, Mastodon has been quite a lot of fun today, and I followed a few people, although you don’t really need to. You can just scroll through the Local timeline, and it’s okay. Some of it is silly, but none of it is hateful.
****This has been organised by my wife and is the source of much tension around here, because nobody else thinks it’s a good idea. Inviting the daughter of an acquaintance (???) to visit for a whole WEEK? I said no, bad idea, but it happened anyway. Send help.
*****It was in the Mitte district, which is where I stayed when I visited the city. I think I even remember the park where they found it. If it’s where I think it is, I’m not surprised.
******Of course it is. I actually tooted this on Mastodon, along with a picture of a salad I made with it.